New in this edition
- Dozens of evocative movie images to help discuss key points
- Three completely new chapters on "PERMA" (positive emotions, engagement, relationships, meaning, and accomplishment), the 5 core areas of well-being discussed by positive psychologists:
- Positive Relationships
- Mindfulness and Resilience
- Achievement, Meaning, Engagement, and Positive Emotions
- Now discusses nearly 1,500 positive psychology movies - 400 of them new to this edition
- More in-depth discussion of film exemplars for each character strength, exploring its dynamics, use for coping, benefits - and now with movie exemplars of overuse and underuse of each strength
- New exemplars include Edward in the Twilight series (self-regulation); Robert Downey, Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes (exceptional judgment/critical thinking); Lisbeth Salander in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (prudence); The Artist (zest); and dozens more
- New appendices listing "Positive Psychology Movies for Children, Adolescents, and Families"; "Movies of the Year" for recent years; and "Positive Psychology Short Films"
- More extensive commentary on research and practice for each of the 24 character strengths, now with over 800 scholarly references
- Updated charts, references, practitioner resources, and more!
For educators, researchers, and anyone striving for personal growth and a fulfilling life! This completely revised edition of the popular Positive Psychology at the Movies provides a unique way to learn and appreciate what is right and best about human beings. Now with discussions of nearly 1,500 movies, dozens of evocative movie images, and much more!
Positive psychology is regarded as one of the most important developments in the field of psychology over the past century. This inspiring book uses movies as a medium for learning about the latest research and concepts, such as mindfulness, resilience, meaning, positive relationships, achievement, well-being, as well as the 24 character strengths laid out by the VIA Institute of Character.
Films offer myriad examples of character strengths and other positive psychology concepts and are uniquely suited to learning about them and inspiring new ways of thinking. This book systematically discusses each of the 24 character strengths, balancing film discussion, related psychological research, and practical applications. Each chapter outlines Key Concepts, Relevant Research, an Exemplar from a key movie, Overuse/Underuse, Key Enablers and Inhibitors, Practical Applications, International Cinema, and a Summary. Watching the films recommended in this book will help the reader to practice the skill of strengths-spotting in themselves and others, inspiring self-improvement. Practical resources include a suggested syllabus for a complete positive psychology course based on movies, a list of suitable movies for children, adolescents, and families as well as a list of questions for classroom and therapy discussions.
Positive Psychology at the Movies is conceived for educators, students, practitioners, and researchers, but anyone who loves movies and wants to change their lives for the better will find it inspiring and relevant. Read this book to learn more about positive psychology and watch these films to become a stronger person!
From the Foreword of this Edition:
"This is the most important book about movies of our times."
Frank Farley, PhD, L. H. Carnell Professor, Temple University, Philadelphia, Former President of the American Psychological Association (APA)
عنوان: Positive Psychology at the Movies Using Films to Build Virtues and Character Strengths (9780889374430)
نویسنده: Ryan M. Niemiec, Danny Wedding
ناشر: Hogrefe Publishing; 2 edition (May 31, 2013)
شابک: 0889374430, 978-0889374430
حجم: 46 Mb
فرمت: True Pdf